Hello, and welcome back to What’s Cooking?, the open thread where you get to share your brilliant thoughts, advice, recipes, and opinions on all things food-related. Summer is (sadly) drawing to an end, so I’d like to take this opportunity to talk about your favorite summer food moments, and how you plan to savor the last bits of the season.
What Items Are Always Stocked in Your Fridge?
Hello, and welcome back to What’s Cooking?, the open thread where you get to share all of your…Read more
I, for one, will be eating all the peaches I can get my hands on, but there’s still time for more. As always, I want to know about your food-themed plans, and have some questions to get you going:
- What was the best grilled thing you consumed this summer? Though I’m a sucker for grilled meats, my favorite grilling experience this summer was a grilled pizza party, which featured a pie with fresh goat cheese, cherries, and prosciutto.
- Did you get to pick some seasonal fruit? What was it? How did you eat it? I never went on a proper berry-picking outing, but I did grab handfuls of blackberries from a bush in my neighborhood and eat them on my walk home. That was nice.
- Did you find a new, summery recipe this year? It’s not really a recipe, but I did figure out how to sous vide ice cream , and that’s pretty cool.
- How many tomato sandwiches did you consume? I have lost count.
- Which fruits got turned into pies and which crust recipe did you use? I still have grand plans of making a peach pie and trying Stella Parks old fashioned crust recipe.
- How much corn did you eat? I ate a lot of corn, mostly in the form of elote , but I also consumed a whole batch of my sous-vide creamed corn without any help.
- What last minute summer food plans do you still need to execute? Besides the whole peach pie thing, I really want to eat some more seafood while it’s still hot out. I had some crab and prawns at the coast a few weeks ago, and it was a near-perfect experience.
- What was your “drink of the summer”? I ended up consuming way more crap beer than I usually do, mostly Rainier. I also drank a bunch of Campari and soda, but I do that no matter what the season.
Obviously feel free to stray from my questionnaire, and tell me about any and all summer food adventures you had, or still plan to have. There’s still time, my friends. There is still time.